Friday, September 13, 2013

A Call to Artful Expression

In the past two weeks, I have received four exciting invitations: one to write for a local publication, one to illustrate a children's book, one to serve as demonstration/teaching artist for an art supply company, and one to offer arts and yoga classes at a new space in Cape Girardeau. Being that I welcome and encourage a flow of creative endeavors in this artful life, it really comes as no surprise...except that when it rains, it pours!!!!  : )

It is my pleasure to welcome to the studio new student Kathy and  returning students: Darrell, Ben, Emma, Lauren, Kierra and Olivia!  I also welcome the weekly time with the nine ladies of the Watercolor Landscapes class, and the eleven students in the St. Paul Adventures in Art class. It is a joy to work with each of you.

I had the extreme delight of spending nearly three straight days in studio working on a series of mono types based on fashion. I began by narrowing a list of several themes to one, then proceeded to gather supplies and prepare the space and materials. I created several collagraphic plates using a variety of fun textural materials like fabric, beeswax, onion sacks, bubble wrap, acrylic glass bead medium, modeling paste, gels and textured papers. Once the plates were dry, I rolled up several colors of my favorite Akua soy based inks. After practicing dry point images and experimenting with several substrates, I passed up the lovely effects of onion skin and rice paper to work primarily with the more acid free and dampened Canson paper. The effects are very pleasing. To these colorful textured backgrounds, I added hand-drawn figures that fit nicely into the existing shapes of the printed composition. In a few examples, I added collage papers and chine colle effects as well.    

Once they are framed, you may see them on display this fall!
   

No comments: