Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thursday at the lake

Chip is up early, fishing with his nephews Zachary and Owen. I just returned form a walk to the end of East Lake Rd. I try to take in all the beauty and perfection of this day, try to push aside how oppressive our summer weather will be back home. When all is done, I shall be pleased to have had all the fun and relaxing enjoyment I hoped for this week, and more!

The end of the week looms near, and I begin to measure the days and places yet to go and things yet to do. We visit the Glenn Curtiss Museum nearly every summer. This year I especially enjoyed seeing the 1910 Buick, Curtiss' early bicycles and motorbikes, the early airplane designs, the Keuka Lake wineries kiosk, the handmade wooden row boats, the working shop where another Curtiss plane replica is being built to fly by local vounteers, the Sharp's Carbine rifle, and the temporary exhibit of props used in the making of the Indiana Jones movies (including the sheep's eyeball which floated in Willie's soup!)

From there, Chip, Sierra, Gabe and I visited the Pleasant Valley Winery, home of the award winning champagne of the 30s and 40s. We also visited the trout at the NYS fish hatchery.

The remainder of our afternoon was spent swimming, eating snacks outdoors, grilling kabobs, conversing with guests, sneaking off to a rendevous... Later that night, after the kids did the dishes, we came together around the table in the cottage to play games. I then did a bit of reading before crawling into bed.

No comments: