Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Monday Meandering


On a dark dismal day, I sought light and cheer, and found it in fellow beings.

At a leisurely pace, I left the house with car piled high with recyclables. I unexpectedly found two friends at the drop-off center, and talked excitedly of family news and plans for a carolling event. I ventured on to the library, to be greeted with a warm hug from my mom, and was given her assistance in finding books by Willa Cather to read during this break from teaching. I stopped in at PDQ Quality Printing, where I find the pleasant people who have been my faithful business partners since a fellow artist recommended them years ago. I thanked them for their excellent service. In the Hobby Lobby store which I frequent, a beaming woman made me smile, and I thanked her for sharing the holiday spirit. Between the moments she took to thank those passers-by who donated to the red kettle beside her, she was enthusiastically singing Christmas carols at the top of her lovely voice, while her ringing bell kept time. Driving on to the university library, I passed an inviting storefront entitled "Kingdom Kids Soul Food Kitchen." I enjoyed a delish cinnamon crunch bagel in Panera as I sank into the murmuring warm atmosphere, remembering the Panera employee whose car ran out of gas yesterday. She was so close to the service station on the other side! As others became impatient and passed her by, Chip and I began to push her car up the small hill to cross the four lane highway. The four smiling young men who joined in to help made our impossible task possible!

I feel grateful for the awareness that allowed me to enjoy and experience these extraordinary moments in an otherwise typical day. These people have nourished my soul with their gifts.

No comments: